Background and Organization
Structure and governing bodies of the DKTK
The DKTK foundation was established on 18 October 2012. The supervising body of the DKTK foundation is the Board of Trustees, consisting of 8 members drawn from the DKTK’s funding bodies, i.e. one representative from the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and one representative from the research ministries of each of the participating federal states.
DKTK Foundation Council
The Board of Trustees supervises the legal compliance, expediency and economic viability of the foundation’s activities. It decides on the foundation’s general research aims and its research policy and financial matters. It also takes decisions on management and performance-monitoring principles and draws up multi-year budgets, including expansion and investment programs. The Board of Trustees usually meets twice a year.
Members of the Board of Trustees
Chair: Bärbel Brumme-Bothe (Federal Ministry of Education and Research)
Dr. Florian Leiner (Bavarian State Ministry of Education, Cultural Affairs, Science and the Arts)
Dr. Dorothee Lux (Hessian Ministry for Science and the Arts)
Dr. Björn Maul (Senate Department for Economy, Energy and Public Enterprises)
Dr. Beate Mueller (Ministry for Innovation, Science and Research North Rhine-Westphalia)
Dr. Karin Schwarzenbacher (Ministry for Science and the Arts Baden-Wuerttemberg)
Dr. Annerose Beck (State Ministry for Science and the Arts Saxony)
Dr. Carola Zimmermann (Ministry for Science, further education and the Arts Rhineland-Palatinate)
DKT Steering Committee
As the managing board and central managing body of the foundation, the Steering Committee manages the foundation’s activities. In particular, it has to ensure that the foundation accomplishes its mission continuously and sustainably. The Steering Committee consists of the DKFZ as the core center, and spokespersons from the translation centers. The Steering Committee meets at least once a month.
DKTK Scientific Advisory Board
The consortium’s scientific work is supervised by a Scientific Advisory Board consisting of leading international experts in the field of translational cancer research.
It advises the Board of Trustees and the Steering Committee on scientific issues, regularly gives its opinion on the scientific work of the translation centers and on their draft research and development programs, and is consulted on the selection of DKTK joint funding projects. The Scientific Advisory Board meets at least once a year.
Members of the Scientific Advisory Board (f. l. t. r.):
- Prof Sir Alex Markham, University of Leeds, UK
- Prof Dominique Figarella-Branger, Aix Marseille Université, France
- Prof Gillies McKenna, University of Oxford, UK
- Chair: Prof Ulrik Ringborg, Karolinska Institute and University, Sweden
- Prof Licia Rivoltini, National Cancer Institute Milano, Italy
- Prof Carlos Caldas, University of Cambridge, UK
- Prof Jolanda de Vries, Radboud University Nijmegen, Netherlands
Not shown in this picture:
- Prof Anne-Lise Børresen-Dale, Norwegian Radium Hospital Oslo, Norway
- Prof Kevin Brindle, University of Cambridge, UK
- Dr John C. Reed, Sanofi
- Prof Walter Jonat, Universitätsklinikum Schleswig-Holstein Kiel, Germany
- Prof Arie Hasman, AMC-UvA, Amsterdam, The Netherlands